Smart like a shirtdress, but make it stretchy, please…
If you’re looking for a feminine yet un-fussy and comfortable dress, that can also be made up in a day or two, the Marianne pattern from Wardrobe by Me may be just what you’re after.
Normally I like to draft my own patterns, but this dress really looked like something that could be used pretty much out-of-the-box, and in the photos posted online for it, it seems to be a pattern that works for most women.
Made up in jersey (stretch) fabric, with an A-line skirt and several sleeve and skirt length options, it checks all my boxes for a simple and elegant summer piece. The buttons and collar give it a bit of a tailored look, which I appreciate.
As an added benefit, it travels well, and… it has pockets!
My first dress using the Wardrobe by Me "Marianne" dress pattern
Notes on this version:
- I added buttons, but no buttonholes in this instance, as the dress pops over the head quite easily.
- For my body, the pattern needed the following very small fitting alterations: I shortened the bodice (especially as the fabric I used was quite heavy, and the skirt dragged the waistline down quite a bit), and I did a smallish FBA. Also, I modified the sleeve cap for a forward shoulder, as well as doing my usual square shoulder adjustment.
- The fabric I used has a 30% stretch ratio, and a bit of vertical stretch too. I’m not sure what the composition is exactly (it has been in my stash for a while), but it feels like a rayon/viscose-spandex blend.
I'm pretty happy with it, and I’ll probably make a few more.
By the way, you're welcome to complete the “Contact” form if you’d like me to share more info with you on how I went about making my needed alterations for this pattern.
Until next time,